Migrating To The Orana (489)
Please note: On 30/6/2016 Regional Development Australia Orana updated the Orana Skilled Occupation List and changed some aspects of the application process. This page has been updated to reflect these changes. Please read all instructions carefully.
Through the Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) we (on behalf
of the state of New South Wales) can sponsor applicants who possess skills needed in the Orana region.
Under this visa, you and your dependents will be able to live and work in regional Australia for up to four years.
Before applying for a Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) you must be nominated by an Australian State or Territory government agency.
To be nominated by Regional Development Australia Orana you must first confirm that your occupation is listed on the current Orana Skilled Occupation List and then carefully follow the instructions below.
Why choose the Orana?
The Orana is a dynamic and diverse region; the largest in New South Wales. It covers about 25 per cent of the state's landmass and is supported by the main industries of Agriculture, Resources and Services including Health.
Find out more about the region here.
How to apply
First, make sure you meet all the necessary criteria set by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.
If you meet these criteria please progress to the next step.
- You must be under 50 years of age.
- You must have a competent level of English.
- You must have a suitable skills assessment assessed by the relevant assessing authority for your nominated occupation from the relevant Skilled Occupation List.
- You must have scored a minimum of 60 points on the Department's points test.
Regional sponsorship also includes a points test. Please be prepared to send relevant documentation to demonstrate your score.
- You and your family must satisfy the Department of Immigration and Border Protection's health requirements.
- You must meet certain character requirements.
Prepare your Documents
Complete this checklist to make sure you send us all of the right documents. Download this checklist as a PDF.
Please scan and save all the documents required. Please note, once you start your online application it cannot be saved.
Most documents need to be certified. A 'certified copy' is a copy of an original document such as a birth certificate, marriage certificate or proof of
identity that has been authorised (or stamped) as being a true copy of an original. Copies of original documents must be certified by a person from
the designated list of occupations.
PLEASE NOTE: Electronic documents are able to be certified under certain conditions according to the most recent Justice of the Peace Handbook. RDA Orana does not accept digital certificates.
According to Regional Development Australia Orana, colour copies are not classified as certified.
If your documents are not in English, you will need to provide official translations.
- EOI Identification Number. For instructions on how to apply please visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.
Please ensure your EOI number is correct.
- Completed NSW Form R. You must provide documentary
evidence of all points claimed in your self-assessment on this form. Please ensure the points claimed on your Form R match those claimed in your
- Completed 956 Form, if using a migration
- Certified copy of Passport or ID Documents.
- Certified copy of your English Language Test Results. A list of the ways you can prove your English language
competency can be found here.
- Certified copies of an appropriate skills assessment provided by the relevant Australian Assessment Authority and/or registration bodies of Australia and NSW.
- A signed and dated statement of your commitment to move to the Orana region clearly stating:
- Your commitment to the Orana region
- Your understanding of the region’s job market
- Your understanding that a nomination from Regional Development Australia Orana is not a guarantee of work
- A template for the letter of commitment can be found here.
- Current Resume or CV.
- Evidence of any skilled employment held in Australia or overseas. This includes written work references for any former/current employment, which must be written on letterhead, signed, clearly dated and include a duty statement, salary and if the work was/is full or part-time. Please note any work experience claims must be verified by your assessing authority and confirmed on your skills assessment.
- Evidence of qualifications received in Australia or Overseas. This includes certified copies of your qualifications, certified copies of notification of your results and a transcript of your academic record.
Are you claiming points for community language qualifications?
- Please provide certified evidence of Credentialed Community Language Qualifications.
Please move to the next item.
Are you claiming points for studying in regional Australia?
- Please provide evidence of studying and living in Regional Australia including a certified notification of results and transcript of academic
record (if not already attached) as well as evidence such as a rental agreement or utility bills.
Please move to the next item.
Have you claimed 'partner skill qualifications' points?
- Please provide certified Passport or ID Documents, Skills Assessment Letter, English Language Test Results, Qualifications and Resume/CV for
Please move to the next item.
Have you claimed points for undertaking a professional year?
- Please provide evidence of Professional Year such as certified Skilled Migration Internship Program certificate.
Please move to the next item.
Payments by credit card will be requested at the end of the online application. This is our preferred method of payment however, if you must pay
by an alternate method (bank cheque, International or Australian money order, direct deposit or International Money Transfer) please email firstname.lastname@example.org before you start the online application process. The current assessment fee is $700 (offshore) or
$770 (onshore, including GST).
You will need to pay via credit card to complete the application process. If you have issues paying, please emailus at email@example.com and we will advise you of the next step.
We will not begin assessing your application until all fees and charges have been verified.
If you are a new user, please register for an account and submit your application according to the instructions provided.
If you are an existing user, please login to your account and submit your application according to the instructions provided.
DO NOT attempt to apply online unless you have all documents ready to upload and can complete your application in one attempt. Only apply once per applicant. Multiple applications cause delays for all applicants.
If you have any trouble completing your application online, please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Make note of your RDA Orana Reference Number
At the end of the application process you will be assigned an RDA Reference Number. Please make note of this number. It will act as a reference in all
communications with us and enable you to check your application using our online system.
Your application will be assessed
Please be patient during this period. We will not fast track or prioritise individual assessments. You can check the progress of your application here.
You will either be recommended for state sponsorship or rejected. You will be notified via email.
Please do not call to check on the progress of your application. This will only slow down the process.
Your application will leave the Regional Development Australia Orana office
If the result of your assessment was positive, your application will be sent to NSW Department of Industry. They will nominate you on SkillSelect for regional
You will then receive an invitation from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection to apply for the Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass
You have 60 days from your nomination to apply for your visa. During this 60 days you cannot be nominated for a different visa on this EOI number.
Send us your results
Whether you are successful or not, please forward us your letter from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection which advises
you of the result. Please email your visa grant notice in PDF format to email@example.com.
If you have applied on shore, you will be expected to move to a specified regional area within 3 months. If you have applied off shore
your visa grant letter will provide information on your expected entry date.
Finding work and accommodation
While the Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) is designed to fill skills shortages in
the region, state sponsorship is not a guarantee of employment. It is up to the individual applicant to search for and secure employment
and accommodation. You can view our job resources here.
Arriving in the Orana
We expect you to move to the Orana region and seek employment here. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject 'arrival' followed by your RDA reference number, to advise us of your arrival.
Please ensure you have forwarded a copy of your visa grant notice in PDF format to us.
If you, at any stage, find work in another specified regional area, please notify us via email so that we can provide you with a letter
of release to live and work in another region. Please email email@example.com with the subject line 'release letter request' followed by your RDA reference number (eg. Release letter request 13001) and provide
details on why you wish to live and work in another region. You will need to give details of what attempts you have made to live and work in the Orana Region as per your signed commitment letter provided with your application.