The Orana region is the largest and most diverse region, covering an area of 25% of NSW. It serves a population of more than 123,000 people. We have a robust economy, anchored by both the agriculture and resources sectors, with an annual GRP of $10.8B, $21.3B in output and $9B in regional exports.
Our region extends from Mudgee in the east to Bourke in the west. It comprises the local government areas of Bogan, Bourke, Brewarrina, Cobar, Coonamble, Dubbo Region, Gilgandra, Mid-Western Region, Narromine, Walgett, Warren and Warrumbungle.
RDA Orana holds a unique position – we are the only organisation in the region to look across the entire region, seeing the needs across all industries and all projects and the opportunities for regional infrastructure beyond local government boundaries.
We are a region going through significant change. We are home to NSW’s first Renewable Energy Zone and Australia’s and NSW’s Critical Mineral Hub. We have $9B in projects announced across the region, including expansions by existing companies and several new projects.
In preparing our priorities we focus on the “pockets” that we’re good at, that no one else is looking at, or that will significantly impact the region.
To achieve real impact from the $9B in projects announced for the region, we recognise that we have significant challenges that include:
- creating opportunities for itinerant contractors and workers to invest and settle in the region on a permanent basis
- facilitating collaborative solutions for housing
- improving transport efficiencies and linkages
- increasing educational opportunities to support the industries developing in the region and
- working with our local Government partners to ensure we create places that are attractive to future generations.
The Orana Strategic Regional Plan consolidates the work the organisation has been undertaking to support the development of our region. To view the Orana Strategic Plan, click the button below.